Monday, March 25, 2013

Work Life Balance - another perspective


Hi Readers,

Since my last post, I have been thinking about what else to write about...what is my passion; that one topic that really gets me talking. Definitely has got to be getting and maintaining a work/life balance (as you can see from my previous post).

I have many passions: my family, my career (including my continuing studies- which we all have in common) and the company I work for - a global a health and well being company that produces hand hygiene products.

Hand hygiene I hear you say? How can anyone be passionate about that?? And what does this have to do with work/life balance?

 
Quick facts - Did you know….

Data shows an average of 3.7% of Australian employees are off work each day.

Studies suggest absenteeism is costing Australian businesses as much as 7 billion dollars year.

A 2005 Medibank Private study found that unhealthy employees take an average of nine times more sick days than healthy people.

In 2009/2010, the total cost of presenteeism to the Australian economy was estimated to be $34.1 billion.

On average, 6.5 working days of productivity are lost per employee annually as a result of presenteeism

Presenteeism equated to a 2.7% decrease in 2010 GDP

(Above facts taken from “The cost of presenteeism to your business and the economy. July 2011 Part of the Medibank research series)

Both absenteeism and presenteeism - that is, coming to work whilst you are ill - can adversely affect workplace productivity.

“Hand hygiene is the primary measure to reduce the spread of germs that may cause illness.”
- World Health Organization

 
I agree that not all sick days are attributed to spread of germs, hand hygiene, or lack thereof. However, the simple truth is that good hand hygiene could in fact prevent much of this lost productivity.

And guess what? When you are not sick, you are more productive (well, most of us J) at work. Higher productivity = more time for you to spend doing the things you are passionate about, outside of work. Just something to think about….

I know where I'd rather be J

Till next time

Christine

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christine,
    You will be very much interested in our Team website, it is all about workplaces, productivity and health. I'll keep you posted!
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete